Shows and Concerts
Dundee has a strong performing arts tradition. Its concert halls and theaters have launched several illustrious careers. While you’re in town, check what’s on at:
- Caird Hall – Multi-purpose venue hosts everything from classical music and rock concerts to stand-up comedians and touring shows.
- Dundee Rep – Highly regarded local rep and producing theater presents a mixture of original plays with its own ensemble cast, dance, music and family shows as well as touring performers. It’s the home of the Scottish Dance Theatre and can boast Lynn Redgrave, Michael York, Joanna Lumley and David Tennant (Dr. Who) among its alums.
- Gardyne Theatre – Refurbished and re-opened in 2012, this hosts a variety of local and touring productions.
- Whitehall Theatre – Near the campus of Dundee University in the city’s cultural quarter, presenting a combination of commercial touring productions and local amateur theater.
- Live Music – With two universities and a vibrant creative community, Dundee has a bigger live music scene than you might expect of a city this size. Clarks on Lindsay Street, Fat Sams Live, and Dukes Corner all have regular gigs from local and touring bands. The best way to find out what’s going on when in you’re in town is to check out online entertainment guides like The Skinny or The List